Ads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Web Hosting Talk

What do you like and not like about Web Hosting Talk? Feel free to also talk about their Moderation and Premium/Corporate Memberships.

WHT is the largest, most influential web and cloud hosting community on the Internet. It is your main source for discussions and breaking news on all aspects of web hosting including managed hosting, dedicated servers and VPS hosting.
    Forums.Hosting - A Web Hosting Forum for consumers and Web Hosting related businesses

I would say that I like the fact that it's a more professional environment than LET or VPSB, or many other places, where you don't have people trolling your threads too often. But with all of this there have to be stricter rules, which WHT surely has. I for one don't personally mind their strict rules, because they enforce a decent environment to be part of, but I'm pretty sure a lot of people do mind all of these rules, especially new members who usually don't bother reading the rules before starting to post.

I myself got some infractions on WHT back in 2008-2010 because of these rules. If you don't spend some time reading them and understanding them, you're bound to break at least a few of them.

What I don't like, in particular, is the fact that WHT doesn't have a section where people can straight up ask for hosting and where providers can just reply with offers. Their argument was always that such a thing would disrupt discussion threads, which I fully agree, and which is why I suggested a dedicated section for this specific thing. So basically discussion threads would be the same place where they are now, in the discussion forums, but we'd also have a dedicated section where people could just ask for their hosting needs, ie: "I need a VPS with 2GB RAM, 1vCPU, in UK, 1Gbps, 30GB SSD, etc" and providers could just reply with their own offers. And they could even make these threads auto close after like 7 days of no replies, to make sure a new provider doesn't come in and spam the sh*t out of all old threads.
    The lack of such a section, inadvertently leads to people spamming the discussion topics with their silly questions "what's your budget?", "which location do you need?", "do you need unmanaged vps?", etc, just to show off their signature to the OP asking for such services.

As for the Premium/Corporate membership, I think they're quite good. Some people may say they're overpriced, but if that would be the case then there wouldn't be any people actually buying it in the first place, so I'd say it's correctly priced.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.
    FHCL likes this.

Comment

The only gripe I have with WHT is when they disable signatures for an entire thread. Just remove the offending 'signature spam' posts, those people will soon get the picture and the threads will be a lot cleaner. The attitude of 'punish everyone because of a few bad actors' doesn't make sense to me. It's even worse when a member of staff over there quotes all of the posts and then mentions the signature spam, thus changing the course of the topic.

Comment

My main gripe is their helpdesk does not work, and has not been working for quite some time now. Just lucky I do not use it a lot like some because using email becomes a pain. Much easier to update a support ticket.
        Forums.Hosting - A Web Hosting Forum for consumers and Web Hosting related businesses

Comment

Meh, support desk or email, it's all the same for me... it works, acceptably.

I wouldn't hold my breath for their support desk to come back any time soon.

Comment

WHT is good, there are a lot of very knowledgeable people on there which is always a positive. Having the option to pay for sticky adverts and things like that is a decent feature too.
            WebHostGB.com - Reseller, Shared, Dedicated & Hybrid
            UK Based Web Hosting - 60 Day Money Back Guarantee - 100% SSD
            Fully Inclusive & Managed UK Small Business Web Design & Hosting Services

cPanel/WHM | Domain & SSL Included | 24/7 UK Support | Transfers Included

Comment

The fact that there's no help from their support. Had problems with an account, not working properly. Created another one and alerted the support team about the problem. They told me they would delete the older one. Got banned on both accounts. Logged in and told them what happened, they said they were going to fix it. Still, after many months, no actions were made, even though I send multiple reminders. It's shit.

Comment

Originally posted by lervfo View Post
                The fact that there's no help from their support. Had problems with an account, not working properly. Created another one and alerted the support team about the problem. They told me they would delete the older one. Got banned on both accounts. Logged in and told them what happened, they said they were going to fix it. Still, after many months, no actions were made, even though I send multiple reminders. It's shit.
                I've heard similar cases before (related to multiple accounts or forgotten/lost accounts), it's quite unfortunate.
                Although I've never contacted them for this specific reason, all my personal experience with the WHT support/staff has always been great.
                One of my personal theories, is that they most probably encounter so much fraud and scam attempts every day, that when a real case comes along, they're quite skeptical about it, and may even dismiss it.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrei View Post

I've heard similar cases before (related to multiple accounts or forgotten/lost accounts), it's quite unfortunate.
                  Although I've never contacted them for this specific reason, all my personal experience with the WHT support/staff has always been great.
                  One of my personal theories, is that they most probably encounter so much fraud and scam attempts every day, that when a real case comes along, they're quite skeptical about it, and may even dismiss it.
                  The thing is that they were on the case, was going to consolidate my accounts. They wouldn't spend that much time with me if they thought it was scam. Anyways, I'm not sure what to do, as both my accounts are banned, and creating another one will only get that one banned..

Comment

I'm not sure what to do, as both my accounts are banned, and creating another one will only get that one banned..
                    Yeah, that's a tricky situation to be into.
                    If I were you, I would keep trying to email their support desk and try to explain my case.
                    Good luck.
                    lervfo and FHCL like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrei View Post

Yeah, that's a tricky situation to be into.
                      If I were you, I would keep trying to email their support desk and try to explain my case.
                      Good luck.
                      I've given up. Tried for many months, might as well use another computer with another network to create another account... Shhh don't tell anyone!

Comment

Update: Trying to have another go at this, found out there's no ban reason..
                        Attached Files

Comment

Sent them a mail, let's pray. Will update when I get a response. If they are helpful and the problem is solved without any problems, then my view on their helpdesk will change.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Sent them a mail, let's pray. Will update when I get a response. If they are helpful and the problem is solved without any problems, then my view on their helpdesk will change.
                            Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by FHCL View Post

Good luck.
                              Thank you, still no response though.

Comment

Another one I thought of is they used to show you who gave you an infraction, but now you have no idea (could be a web host competitor). Unfortunately, that happens at many different forums regardless of the industry.
                                Personally, I think if a forum is going to use/hire moderators (who are also web hosting providers themselves), then they should show who left the infractions; otherwise, some could think there is a conflict of interest, and that could hurt the trust of the forum long-term.

But overall, WHT has lots of great members including mods and admins. No site/forum is perfect.

Comment

I always like web hosting talk.There is a lot of good characteristics it.I do not have anything to look bad

Comment

Ads

Collapse

Ads

Collapse
                                  Working...
                                  X