Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do we really need cPanel?

Good morning!

Most of the web hosting packages include cPanel as a control panel. But is it very important? Can we replace it with something else (cheaper or house-made) without losing potential customers?
    FHCL likes this.

In short, yes! cPanel is a very popular web hosting control panel which majority of people are used to, allowing them to transfer to a different web hosting provider easily should they not be happy with their current web hosting provider. cPanel is very easy to use too and it does not take much time to learn it.
    Forums.Hosting - A Web Hosting Forum for consumers and Web Hosting related businesses

Comment

cPanel is important because it's easy to use and without cPanel, your customers won't be interested in your Shared Hosting.
      FHCL likes this.
      DDoS Protected Singapore/Sydney Dedicated Servers

Comment

But if we can provide better control panel than cPanel ?
        FHCL likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by manoaratefy View Post
          But if we can provide better control panel than cPanel ?
          The thing is your customer will only be familiar with cPanel and so far I used most of the Free Control Panel, they can't compare with cPanel.

Just like BoxBilling can't compare with WHMCS.
          FHCL likes this.
          DDoS Protected Singapore/Sydney Dedicated Servers

Comment

If you are a hosting provider then no it is essential. Customers know and like cPanel you could replace it with Plesk or Webmin/Usermin but the brand strength of cPanel including the fact that it is a great hosting platform offset the increased cost.
            FHCL likes this.
            Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS
            https://www.ljshost.com

Comment

You don't need cPanel as long as your control panel is easy to use, Heart and TSO have manged this, as well as 20i. I would say that some people will stick with cPanel as it's easier to move clients and for backups etc..
              FHCL likes this.

Comment

Will you lose potential clients if you don't offer cPanel? I would answer that with, absolutely YES. cPanel is not essential to managing your infrastructure, but it is essential to attracting clients, since this control panel is the most widely recognized and utilized panel on the market right now. I personally would not host with a provider that didn't offer cPanel, but that's just me.
                FHCL likes this.
                ProlimeHost- Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
                Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore

Comment

Originally posted by james85 View Post
                  You don't need cPanel as long as your control panel is easy to use, Heart and TSO have manged this, as well as 20i. I would say that some people will stick with cPanel as it's easier to move clients and for backups etc..
                  I'm not too sure about those being good examples. For example, loads of people complain about Heart and TSO resource limits and it not being easy to migrate data away from them. 20i is new too me, but not many are 100% on them either due to their hidden terms and the like, as mentioned in the other thread at https://forums.hosting/forum/hosting...seller-hosting

But if you like them james85 then that's up to you, of course. Each to their own and all that.
                  Forums.Hosting - A Web Hosting Forum for consumers and Web Hosting related businesses

Comment

I wouldn't say I like them, just saying that a custom panel can work... personally I'd prefer Cpanel and move clients to a new server in minutes if it all goes wrong
                    FHCL likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by james85 View Post
                      I wouldn't say I like them, just saying that a custom panel can work... personally I'd prefer Cpanel and move clients to a new server in minutes if it all goes wrong
                      Oh ok +1

Good to hear you prefer cPanel.

Comment

CentOS Web Panel is a good free alternative to cPanel. It also has a cpanel migration system, so you can migrate cPanel accounts without any lose of features
                        FHCL likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by easyhostmedia View Post
                          CentOS Web Panel is a good free alternative to cPanel. It also has a cpanel migration system, so you can migrate cPanel accounts without any lose of features
                          Excellent information there! Thanks for sharing with the rest of us.

Comment

I was decided to provide free hosting with DirectAdmin and daily I was got 1 or maximum 2 orders but later I switch to cPanel and then interest in my free hosting was creased to much. I was start receiving 1 or 2 order per hour so cPanel is very important.

Most of don't care how much money they are paying you but they will prefer to use cPanel.
                            FHCL likes this.

Comment

cPanel is really great, nothing can beat it (at least yet). People are very familiar with it and they prefer using it because the interface is appealing.
                              FHCL likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Fusion Servers View Post
                                cPanel is really great, nothing can beat it (at least yet). People are very familiar with it and they prefer using it because the interface is appealing.
                                Trouble with cPanel is they have got too big for their boots and know they have no real competitors, so when they bring out new features like AutoSSL ( weeks after an agreement with Lets Encrypt to become a set feature) these are always enabled as default, so hosts dont get a choice.

I sell a lot of SSL certs and even offer a charged shared SSL, but when WHM 60 come out autossl was set as enabled by default, so i spent 3 hrs manually removing unwanted ssl certs, when i opened a ticket with cpanel explaining this and why not have the feature disabled by default, so hosts get a choice to enable it.

whoever answered the ticket took this as abusing them and cancelled my cpanel licence and it took me 3 days to get this sorted out and all the time without any WHM/cPanel access for me or my clients
                                FHCL likes this.

Comment

But I think big european providers like OVH, LWS, Pulseheberg, 1&1, Firstheberg, ... has their own control panel and they don't use cPanel. In other side, american provider like Godaddy, ResellerClub, Hostgator, ... are still using cPanel.
                                  FHCL likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by manoaratefy View Post
                                    But I think big european providers like OVH, LWS, Pulseheberg, 1&1, Firstheberg, ... has their own control panel and they don't use cPanel. In other side, american provider like Godaddy, ResellerClub, Hostgator, ... are still using cPanel.
                                    Yes, which makes you stuck with them as you cannot migrate to another provider, this what makes cPanel popular, if you want to move to another provider it is a lot easier to migrate without having any downtime
                                    FHCL likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by easyhostmedia View Post

Trouble with cPanel is they have got too big for their boots and know they have no real competitors, so when they bring out new features like AutoSSL ( weeks after an agreement with Lets Encrypt to become a set feature) these are always enabled as default, so hosts dont get a choice.

I sell a lot of SSL certs and even offer a charged shared SSL, but when WHM 60 come out autossl was set as enabled by default, so i spent 3 hrs manually removing unwanted ssl certs, when i opened a ticket with cpanel explaining this and why not have the feature disabled by default, so hosts get a choice to enable it.

whoever answered the ticket took this as abusing them and cancelled my cpanel licence and it took me 3 days to get this sorted out and all the time without any WHM/cPanel access for me or my clients
                                      I agree that they should not enable it by default. Unfortunately, you have to try to keep up with their newsletters, etc, so you are aware of any changes they will do. If you knew when it was going to happen then you could have changed whether AutoSSL is enabled for domains by default by changing the setting in the feature list in Home >> Packages >> Feature Manager >> Feature Lists

So if all your cPanel accounts are created using the default feature list and that feature list has AutoSSL checkbox checked, then yes, all domains will have AutoSSL enabled by default, but if you uncheck the box for AutoSSL, then it should not be enabled by default. Moreover, even if you have AutoSSL enabled by default, it should not override any existing SSLs that are from other CA like Comodo or Geotrust. The option for that is Home >> SSL/TLS >> Manage AutoSSL >> Logs >> AutoSSL Options >> Allow AutoSSL to replace invalid or expiring non-AutoSSL certificates.

PS I have to say that while cPanel does not have any direct competition control panel wise, there are many website builders which they lose sales too, and so I am sure it is in their interest to offer the best product regardless of whether they have any direct competition or not.

Check out the feature list settings and let me know. I'd just leave it set to enable AutoSSL. I do not see the point trying to sell SSLs to customer's when they can have them for free. That free SSL does not work on XP with a particular browser stuff is not a good enough reason to not use the free SSLs. They should not be using XP in the first place.

Comment

If you're not running cPanel, you'll certainly lose some sales, yes. That being said, if your in-house panel makes the experience better for some people, then you'll also have a selling point which can help gain other sales. It just depends on who your target market is really, whatever you choose will turn away some customers and attract others, just make sure you choose the right setup for your target market.
                                        FHCL likes this.

Comment

Cpanel has themes, I like themes.. Minimalistic ones.

Comment

There are many reasons for the importance of Cpanel website.like, its easy to use & customer friendly

Comment

Ads

Collapse

Ads

Collapse
                                            Working...
                                            X