Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should we allow hosting offers with unlimited diskspace/storage at forums.hosting?

Collapse

Ads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should we allow hosting offers with unlimited diskspace/storage at forums.hosting?

Most know that offering unmetered/unlimited bandwidth isn't an issue due to massive data centres like OVH passing the same on to their customers, but there is not such thing as "unlimited diskspace/storage".
    So should we (https://forums.hosting) try to help educate people more on such or should we allow "unlimited diskspace/storage" offers?

Some are aware of such issues with so-called "unlimited diskspace/storage" offers and know the real limits in the providers TOS and AUP and the like, yet they still signup to such plans
    Forums.Hosting - A Web Hosting Forum for consumers and Web Hosting related businesses

I think not allowing unlimited advertising is a good thing, But I also think people are past educating at this point, the unlimited brainwashing has done it's job and now many customers expect 10TB storage/Bandwidth for $1.99 a month.
    People only get "educated" on unlimited plans once they get burned. I had a guy the other day on my chat complaining that our 20GB reseller package was tiny and not suitable for a resller and wanted 10TB of bandwidth a month. despite the fact we have some resellers on this plan with 100+ accounts and still have plenty of space. People want everything for nothing these days., I some times wounder what planet these people are from /sigh
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | VPS
    https://www.ljshost.com

Comment

Yeah, Unlimited is for the uneducated and non-Unlimited is for the educated.
      DDoS Protected Singapore/Sydney Dedicated Servers

Comment

Originally posted by LJSHost View Post
        ...But I also think people are past educating at this point, the unlimited brainwashing has done it's job and now many customers expect 10TB storage/Bandwidth for $1.99 a month.
        People only get "educated" on unlimited plans once they get burned. I had a guy the other day on my chat complaining that our 20GB reseller package was tiny and not suitable for a resller and wanted 10TB of bandwidth a month. despite the fact we have some resellers on this plan with 100+ accounts and still have plenty of space. People want everything for nothing these days., I some times wounder what planet these people are from /sigh
        This is the dang truth! Unfortuanetely this is something that already has the mast of people expecting web hosting, great support, and everything else for free. They want it all, and they want it for nothing.

I say don't allow it, but it's something that will and still should be talked about in the main forums.
        Carolina-Host - Real people, with real answers for your web solutions!
        Web Hosting | Website Design | Website & Content Management | WordPress
        Poarch & Associates - Financial Solutions for YOU!
        Accounting | Bookkeeping | Tax Preparation | Payroll Services

Comment

I say don't do it because then everyone's going to flood the forum with unlimited offer when we all KNOW nothing is unlimited.
          Webhosting - Reseller - VPS - BuzzNOC
          Save 30% on sign up using 'BUZZ30'

Comment

All this unlimited stuff is what caused the saturation we are all sinking in these days. This business needs regulation, some one can decided they want to be a hosting provider, click a mouse a few times and bam they have everything needed to sell unlimited everything. Sure people their customers will complain they don't have what they have been sold but the provider refuses to refund then they have a 50/50 chance with PayPal for a refund etc.

Most of these "providers" are just some guy/girl who thinks it's a get rich quick scene.

I some times think if I could get just 2% of the market share sucked up by these providers who are nothing more than snake oil salesmen, I'd be sitting in my indoor pool enjoying a cocktail right now !. We all oversell it's a fact of the business and makes zero business sense not to do so but it has to do done responsibility so you can honor your commitments in the rare even it happens, it's all gamble but backed up by investment.

Rant over.

Comment

All this unlimited stuff is what caused the saturation we are all sinking in these days. This business needs regulation, some one can decided they want to be a hosting provider, click a mouse a few times and bam they have everything needed to sell unlimited everything. Sure people their customers will complain they don't have what they have been sold but the provider refuses to refund then they have a 50/50 chance with PayPal for a refund etc.

Most of these "providers" are just some guy/girl who thinks it's a get rich quick scene.

I some times think if I could get just 2% of the market share sucked up by these providers who are nothing more than snake oil salesmen, I'd be sitting in my indoor pool enjoying a cocktail right now !. We all oversell it's a fact of the business and makes zero business sense not to do so but it has to do done responsibility so you can honor your commitments in the rare even it happens, it's all gamble but backed up by investment.

Rant over.
              100% Agree. This industry needs some kind of regulatory body to stop these jokers literally draining any possible way to turn a profit and still be competitive. The problem is, a lot of people get fooled on the £1 a year hosting plans, then seem to have a problem when its awful. I know these guys don't last, but it is enough to make other hosts drop their prices thus creating this downward negative cycle that never seems to get broken.
              WebHostGB.com - Reseller, Shared, Dedicated & Hybrid
              UK Based Web Hosting - 60 Day Money Back Guarantee - 100% SSD
              Fully Inclusive & Managed UK Small Business Web Design & Hosting Services

cPanel/WHM | Domain & SSL Included | 24/7 UK Support | Transfers Included

Comment

Originally posted by WHGBTom View Post

100% Agree. This industry needs some kind of regulatory body to stop these jokers literally draining any possible way to turn a profit and still be competitive. The problem is, a lot of people get fooled on the £1 a year hosting plans, then seem to have a problem when its awful. I know these guys don't last, but it is enough to make other hosts drop their prices thus creating this downward negative cycle that never seems to get broken.
                Even a single regulation that states you cannot over commit your products more than 20% would cause hosting prices to triple over night. But this will never happen, welcome to the Internet where all manner of shady stuff goes down and everyone gets away with it. thanks VPN's thanks ToR You just have to outlast these people and get a good reputation only way to fight it.

Comment

A lot if ignorance in this thread. Since when are hosts mandated to restrict their offers to multi-tiered quota based hosting plans? Why must a provider impose artificial and arbitrary disk space quotas and offer multiple plans? There is nothing wrong with eliminating these provider-imposed quotas and offering a single plan instead of many plans.

Unlimited hosts aren't offering unlimited physical disk space or infinitely large hard drives. The "unlimited" refers to the boundaries created between different hosting plans, not physical devices. Unlimited hosting is still offered in the context of shared hosting, which does have its inherent limits (e.g., on cpu, io, ram), just like the other hosts do

For the reader who wants to learn something, and contrary to the nonsense provided in the other posts, here is how unlimited hosting works:

Suppose a host has a 2 GB, 5 GB and 10 GB plan. You sign up for a 2 GB hosting plan. Now let's suppose your site grows to 2.5 GB. What happens? The limited plan host will either:
                  • Suspend your site when you hit the 2GB limit
                  • Charge you a premium for going over the 2GB limit
                  • Ask you to pay for the 5 GB plan, with a new bigger limit
                  • All the above
                  What happens when you have an Unlimited Plan? Nothing! Your site goes from 2.0 GB to 2.5 GB without penalty, threats of suspension, or additional charges. That is what unlimited hosting is all about!

And why does that work? 99% of web sites suitable for shared hosting are under 2GB. Just about all the rest are under 5GB. You don't need 10 different plans to host those sites.
                  Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
                  Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
                  The Unlimited FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by Collabora View Post

And why does that work? 99% of web sites suitable for shared hosting are under 2GB. Just about all the rest are under 5GB. You don't need 10 different plans to host those sites.

If someone needs a little more space that's fine and they need to upgrade but putting a glass ceiling on the service is just a scam.

I had a new customer yesterday telling me that his old "unlimited" provider told him to delete everything needed to get down to 5GB on an unlimited plan ! He told them but I'm "unlimited" no they said it's just marketing talk.

You start offering unlimited and tell me how it works out for you,

Comment

I see both sides of the argument there Collabora and LJSHost

Or should I say debate.
                      Forums.Hosting - A Web Hosting Forum for consumers and Web Hosting related businesses

Comment

If someone needs a little more space that's fine and they need to upgrade but putting a glass ceiling on the service is just a scam. I had a new customer yesterday telling me that his old "unlimited" provider told him to delete everything needed to get down to 5GB on an unlimited plan ! He told them but I'm "unlimited" no they said it's just marketing talk.
                        Name the host. There is no sane reason why any forum (or host) should model their business according to what you say a customer told you.

I had a customer tell me that they signed up for a 3 GB plan and they were terminated after using only 200 MB. SCAM!! An unlimited host running a "scam" is no different than a limited host running a scam

Your argument is ridiculous on the face of it and fails to address the real issue. That is why you would quote only my last sentence -- unless you are asking that limited hosts not be able to advertise either because a customer of mine claimed one scammed him.
                        The Unlimited FAQ

Comment

We will have to agree to disagree. The purpose of this thread was to decide if unlimited advertising should be allowed here. If you think yes that's your opinion and your entitled to it.

Comment

The purpose of this thread was to decide if unlimited advertising should be allowed here. If you think yes that's your opinion and your entitled to it.
                            Right, I already said as much. An unverified story told to you by one of your customer's is not a reason to not allow (or allow) the advertising. That was my point
                            The Unlimited FAQ

Comment

I think the point is it could go either way. But one of the business models is usually the safer tried and tested option (limited plans).

Unlimited has a bad rep and with good reason. The unlimited providers that I know of all had/have serious problems mostly down to the business model which also inevitably leads to poor management of resources and staff not really giving a hoot about the customer.

That said, that is not me saying there are not any providers who are not offering a good service, but usually the ones that are, are very new, and so, of course, they have the resources to offer such, but at some point they will try to fill the servers as much as possible to maximise profit, and then that is where they will do what they can to limit you in other ways whether that be by CPU/mem or rate limiting bandwidth/disk IO. Rate limiting bandwidth is an old trick that providers offering unlimited do and is what prevents you from making use of being able to use as much diskspace as you want i.e the data transfer speeds are that poor most give up trying to upload large amounts of data to their account.

Comment

Whatever. I offered an explanation of what unlimited hosting really means. For those hosts that reject my help in that respect, or try to prove me wrong with double-standards and anecdotes, its their loss. Fear of competition will eventually be their downfall. And if the forum wants to shield and coddle them, so be it.
                                The Unlimited FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by Collabora View Post
                                  Whatever. I offered an explanation of what unlimited hosting really means. For those hosts that reject my help in that respect, or try to prove me wrong with double-standards and anecdotes, its their loss. Fear of competition will eventually be their downfall. And if the forum wants to shield and coddle them, so be it.
                                  Not the forum, just the members who have posted so far. Maybe more members will come along and agree with you.

Comment

Ads

Collapse

Ads

Collapse
                                  Working...
                                  X